Skip to main content Skip to navigation
School of Politics, Philosophy, and Public Affairs Graduate School FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions: Graduate School Admissions

Is the GRE required?

The GRE is not required for those applying to the MA or PhD programs in Political Science.

Do you require a minimum GRE score for admission to the Ph.D. program?

No. We consider all aspects of your application in making admissions decisions.

I am an international student. Must I take the TOEFL or another English-language exam?

Applicants from Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Canada, Guyana, Kenya, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, and Trinidad and Tobago do not need to demonstrate English proficiency through an examination.

In addition, international students who have or will have graduated with a baccalaureate -level or higher degree from an accredited four-year U.S. or Canadian college or university within two years of the expected semester of enrollment at the WSU Graduate School are not required to submit English proficiency test scores, such as TOEFL scores.

All other international applicants must demonstrate a basic proficiency in English by submitting official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) test scores. Scores must be less than two years old and sent directly to the Graduate School from the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service reporting code for Washington State University is 4705 (for the TOEFL only).

Do you require a minimum TOEFL score?

Yes, the paper-based minimum is 575, the computer-based minimum is 230, and the Internet-based minimum is 90.

Where should I send letters of reference?

You should not mail any letters of reference to WSU. When you fill out your online application through the Graduate School, you will be asked to provide contact information for those providing references. WSU will contact your references directly.

Should I send transcripts directly to PPPA?

No, you will submit transcripts to the Graduate School. Procedures for domestic students and international studies are provided at the Graduate School’s website.

Must I submit a separate funding application?

No, all applicants are considered for funding.

School Contact Information

Graduate Director

Dr. Michael Salamone
Phone: 509-335-7569

Graduate Coordinator:

Diane Scott
Phone: 509-335-2545

Useful Links:

Graduate School
Schedule of Classes

School of Politics, Philosophy, & Public Affairs
Washington State University
801 Johnson Tower
PO Box 644880
Pullman, WA 99164-4880

Main Phone Number: 509-335-2544
Fax Number: 509-335-7990

Graduate Handbook

The School of Politics, Philosophy, and Public Affairs Graduate Handbook was developed to use in conjunction with Graduate School Policies and Procedures.

Students are governed by the rules and regulations in the academic year they begin graduate work.

Handbooks by Year