Skip to main content Skip to navigation
School of Politics, Philosophy, and Public Affairs FAQ’s

Frequently Asked Admissions Questions

Must I take the GRE examination?

All those applying for the Ph.D. must submit GRE scores to WSU. WSU’s code is 4705. Students applying for the M.A. degrees in Political Science are not required to submit GRE test scores.

Do you require a minimum GRE score for admission to the Ph.D. program?

No. We consider all aspects of your application in making admissions decisions.

I am an international student. Must I take the TOEFL or another English-language exam?

Applicants from Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Canada, Guyana, Kenya, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, and Trinidad and Tobago do not need to demonstrate English proficiency through an examination.

In addition, international students who have or will have graduated with a baccalaureate -level or higher degree from an accredited four-year U.S. or Canadian college or university within two years of the expected semester of enrollment at the WSU Graduate School are not required to submit English proficiency test scores, such as TOEFL scores.

All other international applicants must demonstrate a basic proficiency in English by submitting official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) test scores. Scores must be less than two years old and sent directly to the Graduate School from the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service reporting code for Washington State University is 4705 (for the TOEFL only).

Do you require a minimum TOEFL score?

Yes, the paper-based minimum is 575, the computer-based minimum is 230, and the Internet-based minimum is 90.

Where should I send letters of reference?

You should not mail any letters of reference to WSU. When you fill out your online application through the Graduate School, you will be asked to provide contact information for those providing references. WSU will contact your references directly.

Should I send transcripts directly to PPPA?

No, you will submit transcripts to the Graduate School. Procedures for domestic students and international studies are provided at the Graduate School’s website.

Must I submit a separate funding application?

No, all applicants are considered for funding.

Graduate Coordinator:

Diane Scott
Johnson Tower 801