Graduate Certificate in Bioethics
As science expands medical boundaries, society faces tough new questions on such topics as assisted suicide, genetic testing, and stem cell research. WSU’s online graduate certificate in bioethics program teaches students how to weigh competing social and individual interests using ethical theories.
The certificate enhances employment opportunities in three main areas:
- Health care, including the biotech industry as well as hospitals, nursing homes, and public health organizations.
- Legal work, including law firms, hospital consulting, bioethics centers, medical societies, international organizations, and nongovernmental organizations.
- Academic, including such fields as philosophy, anthropology, biology, history, politics, and sociology.
The graduate certificate in bioethics requires a minimum of 9 credit hours. Eight of those hours are in the core courses. The additional credit is to be completed by directed study or by additional coursework.
- PHIL 520: Seminar in Ethical Theory (3 cr)
- PHIL 530: Bioethics (2 cr)
- PHIL 535: Advanced Biomedical Ethics (3 cr)
- PHIL 600: Directed study or graduate course, as approved by departmental advisor (1 or more cr)
More information regarding this certificate and the application process
The bioethics certificate is also available through Global campus.
Johnson Tower 801
Schedule of Classes