The school recruits highly qualified students and admits a limited number of strong applicants. All students must apply to and be admitted into the Ph.D. program. Students entering with the B.A. degree obtain an M.A. after completing the matriculation exam in the second year.
The school does offer a terminal M.A. in political science (general) and M.A. in political science (global justice & security studies certificate). The certificate program is practitioner-based and is intended for students seeking employment within the intelligence or defense communities. These M.A.’s do not lead to admission into the Ph.D. program.
Admission into both programs is granted in the fall semester only.
School Admissions & Applications Timeline
The school will do its best to review the applications received and notify all applicants in a timely manner. The deadline for admission applications is JANUARY 10; applicants will be notified of admission decisions before March 15. Students are encouraged to call the school if they have any questions regarding their application status.
Please submit all required documents:
- An online application and fee to the Graduate School.
- An updated official college transcript showing your bachelor’s and/or master’s work sent to the Graduate School.
- An official copy of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) sent to the Graduate School.
- A brief (1–2 pages) personal statement addressing the student’s academic interest in political science, career objectives, and how their research interests fit the expertise of faculty and programs at WSU. This should be submitted to the Graduate School.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation submitted to the Graduate School. Letters should come from people that can attest to your academic ability to succeed in a graduate program (i.e., professors).
- An official copy of the TOEFL Examination (required for international students only). Please send directly to the Graduate School.
- A writing sample submitted to the Graduate School
School Contact Information
Dr. Martha Cottam
Johnson Tower 801
School of Politics, Philosophy, & Public Affairs
Washington State University
801 Johnson Tower
PO Box 644880
Pullman, WA 99164-4880
Main Phone Number: 509-335-2544
Fax Number: 509-335-7990